Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Swing Arc

As I related in my previous post, I'm working on keeping the left arm straight through the backswing and downswing, and then, after reviewing Hogan's Five Lessons, keeping the right arm straight in the follow-through. These long arms, creating the radii of the swing arc, provide the width that everyone who talks about hitting for more distance will tell you. It looks easy in any examples you find on the Web or in books or magazines, but it's very hard to do.

I did all my practice today in the backyard, constantly viewing myself in the camcorder or in my reflection in a patio sliding door. I wanted to see what my left arm looked like at the top of the swing. Even after some practice extending that arm and using the right arm to support the left, I found that when the club hinged, the left arm broke at the elbow. More trial-and-error showed that if I relaxed in my wrists in order to let the club hinge, I could keep my left arm relatively straight. But I could feel the exertion this required. Frequently, I felt like sitting down and resting, just listening to the traffic go by.

At the same time I was working on a straight left arm, I was also working on turning my hips and sequencing my swing. As I moved in slow motion, I could see how the swing is supposed to work. I could also see how the right hand throws the clubhead and straightens out in the follow-through past impact and remains straight way up into the finish. I can do this (sort of) in slow motion, but I can't do it in a real swing. It's all too much to manage. Although I couldn't put it all together, there were parts that I felt were starting to become manageable, and they were enough to induce me to go the range and try out my swing.

The results were pretty good. I concentrated on the driver, but the nine-iron and a 3 hybrid both felt good, too. With the driver, I was hitting the ball fairly consistently, but not any farther than I was before, even though I was trying my best to relax, stay wide, and turn my hips. I must say, though, that the drives felt good. If, in the end, I can carry a drive only 230 yards or so, I'll be satisfied. It feels good to see the ball go flying out there straight and clear the tree with the yellow "200" yard marker next to it.

Obviously, it's going to take quite a while to develop a swing like the Arnold Palmer video advocates. It's so seductive. "Hip Speed = Effortless Power." Who could resist that? Just study the video and do what Arnie does. Sure. And study Mariano Rivera and then try to throw a cut fastball like he does.

On the positive side of this problem, I think I'm in fairly good shape behind the ball. That is, I think my backswing is OK and my downswing is OK. Not great, but passable. As I already mentioned, I could use some more sophisticated sequencing, using my legs and hips to generate more speed in my shoulders and arms. But, for an amateur, and a neophyte as well, I'm in relatively good shape.

My main problem, and the goal of my practice for the foreseeable future, is allowing the club to follow the swing arc. My right hand doesn't really fire out through the ball at impact, and the left hand doesn't really supinate enough. As a result, I generate speed only during half the swing. According to Hogan, the swing reaches top speed just after the ball. In my case, I think my top speed happens before the ball, and nothing of consequence happens after impact. This has been a problem I've been aware of for quite some time, now. Solving it, needless to say, is more elusive.

That Arnold Palmer video, especially the model swing of an anonymous golfer at the end of the video who produces "an effortless 375 yard drive," is now the image of the swing I want to have. I need to continue working on the swing so that it continues to build up speed past the ball. As I've said before in these posts, my swing speed is really expended before it reaches the ball, the problem of most golfers. Nonetheless, I now have success to build on. My two outings on the course have shown that I have the potential to score well. To me, that means that I can also learn a complete, full swing—with good sequencing and good hip speed—that will give me drives of at least 250 yards carry. Once I start hitting that mark, I'll know I finally have a complete swing.

In the next few days, let's see what kind of progress I make.

No comments: